My Grandfather made a mean Steak and Kidney pie. I can still remember the taste as if it was yesterday. Our wonderful pies made for us by Neil Broomfield are exceptionally good too. I hope they’d all approve of this chicken & ham version using turnips, carrots and leeks and our Meaux mustard. My family love this pie with its creamy mustard and tarragon sauce and melt in the mouth flaky pastry topping. Equally good made with leftover turkey or ham hock.
Chicken & Ham Pie
- Pie filling
- 50g butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 3 small turnips, peeled and diced finely
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 200ml dry white wine
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 2tbsp Meaux mustard (or any wholegrain mustard)
- 200ml crème fraîche
- 1tsp dried tarragon
- seasoning to taste (go easy with the salt if using York or Shropshire Black ham)
- 200g Dukeshill ham, chopped
- 150g cooked chicken, chopped
- Flaky pastry
- 350g plain flour
- 125g butter
- 6-8tbsp water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp milk
- Step 1 Melt the butter in a heavy based saucepan over a low heat then sweat the vegetables for 10-15 minutes.
- Step 2 Add the flour to the pan to soak up all the butter and coat the vegetables. Cook for a further minute.
- Step 3 Pour in the wine and allow to bubble for a minute then gently add the stock little by little. Allow to come to a gentle simmer and for the sauce to thicken.
- Step 4 Take off the heat and stir in the mustard, creme fraiche, tarragon and seasoning to taste.
- Step 5 Transfer the pie filling to a buttered pie dish.
- Step 6 Position your pie funnel in the centre.
- Step 7 To make the pastry break up the butter into the flour and gently rub between your fingers until well dispersed.
- Step 8 Add the water a little at a time until the dough comes together.
- Step 9 Roll out to cover the pie dish and place carefully over the funnel allowing the funnel to break through. Pinch the edge to seal the pastry round the edge of the dish.
- Step 10 Brush with beaten egg and milk.
- Step 11 Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180’C for 35 minutes.