Not much beats a comforting classic Chicken & Ham Pie or variations of, but this Chicken & Chorizo Pie made using our mildly spiced chorizo, sherry and peppers is so tasty. Guaranteed to warm you up.
Chicken & Chorizo Pie
This Chicken & Chorizo Pie is a tasty comforting pie made with crisp flaky pastry.
- 1 pack (180g) cooking chorizo, skinned and roughly chopped into 1cm cubes
- 210g cooked chicken (or turkey), roughly chopped
- 30g butter
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp flour
- 75ml dry sherry
- 300ml chicken stock
- 75g crème fraiche
- seasoning to taste
- Step 1 Melt the butter in a heavy based saucepan over a low heat and sauté the onion and peppers for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another 5 mins.
- Step 2 Add the flour to the pan to soak up all the butter and coat the vegetables. Cook for a further minute.
- Step 3 Pour in the sherry and allow to bubble for a minute then add the stock. Allow to come to a gentle simmer and for the sauce to thicken. Take off the heat and stir in the crème fraiche.
- Step 4 Dry fry the chopped chorizo in a pan over a medium high heat until browned and crispy, about 3-5mins.
- Step 5 Stir the chopped cooked chicken and chorizo through the sauce and season to taste, (although I find it doesn’t need any seasoning) and transfer to a buttered pie dish.
- Step 6 To make the pastry break up the butter into the flour and gently rub between your fingers until well dispersed. Add the water a little at a time until the dough comes together.
- Step 7 Roll out to cover the pie dish and pinch the edge to seal the pastry round the edge of the dish.
- Step 8 Brush with beaten egg and milk and cut several slits to allow the steam to escape during baking
- Step 9 Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180’C for 35 minutes.