This recipe of pork confit with celeriac & pear mash & braised red cabbage is a lovely combination. Pear, celeriac and red cabbage go so well with pork and ham dishes. Everyone seems to have a recipe for braised red cabbage these days but I find this one is a really easy recipe to make taking only 40 minutes. The addition of cranberry sauce gives it just enough sweetness to counter the sharpness of the apple. A lovely supper or dinner party dish with no last-minute panics as the veg can be prepared ahead and re-heated, or kept warm.
Pork Confit with Celeriac & Pear Mash & Braised Red Cabbage
A lovely warming supper dish using our unctuous pork confit, celeriac, pears and red cabbage.
- 2 x Dukeshill belly pork confit
- 1 whole celeriac (approx 600g), peeled and diced
- 1 large potato, diced
- 2 ripe pears peeled and diced
- 3 tbsp crème fraîche
- large knob of butter
- Seasoning to taste
- Braised red cabbage
- 25g butter
- 1/2 red onion, finely sliced
- 1/2 red cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 Bramley apple, peeled and sliced
- 1/2” fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
- ¼ tsp allspice
- 250-300ml vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp cranberry sauce
- Seasoning to taste
- Step 1 Start the braised cabbage by melting the butter in a heavy based saucepan.
- Step 2 Add the onion, ginger, apple and cabbage and gently sauté for a few minutes, then add the allspice and cook for a further minute before pouring in the stock. Leave to gently simmer with a lid on for 30 mins. Add more liquid if necessary to prevent drying out.
- Step 3 Pop the pork belly confit uncovered on a baking tray and roast at 190’C fan for 20-30 mins until nicely golden.
- Step 4 Meanwhile bring the celeriac and potato to the boil and simmer for 10mins. Add the pear and simmer for a further 10 mins.
- Step 5 Stir in the cranberry sauce and seasoning into the red cabbage mixture and continue to cook for 10 mins.
- Step 6 Drain the celeriac, potato and pears and add the crème fraiche, salt, pepper and butter to the pan. Mash or if preferred put through a mouli or potato ricer to get a really smooth consistency.
- Step 7 Cut the confit into portions or slice (2-3 servings per confit) and serve with the mash and cabbage alongside.