This bacon, tomato & Mozarella Salad is my take on a Caprese salad. As with the very best simple dishes it’s all about the quality of the ingredients so use our dry cured streaky bacon. Don’t be tempted to use cheaper bacon. and that goes for the tomatoes and Mozzarella too. When tomatoes are out of season try using my confited tomatoes for that lovely intensity of flavour.
Bacon, Tomato & Mozarella Salad
Sometimes the simplest things are best and this salad is a case in point. Equally good using our Pancetta and Burrata.
- 400g best quality ripe tomatoes, sliced
- (or 400g confited tomatoes if ripe unavailable – see recipe on website)
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- 300g best quality Mozzarella, torn
- 10g fresh basil leaves (small leafed basil if possible), torn
- 30g pine nuts, toasted
- 200g dry cured streaky bacon (or pancetta)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Step 1 Simply crisp the bacon in a lined baking tray in the oven at 220’C/200’C fan for approximately 10 minutes.
- Step 2 On a serving platter or shallow serving bowl arrange the sliced tomatoes and spring onions with the crispy bacon, broken into pieces.
- Step 3 Scatter the torn Mozzarella and basil over. Drizzle over the olive oil, season and lastly sprinkle the toasted pine nuts on top.