A speedy supper dish for those times when you want something comforting and tasty but with minimal effort. Made using store cupboard ingredients with frozen peas and our dry cured bacon. Don’t be tempted to use inferior bacon as you won’t get the intensity of flavour during the dry frying, just horrible white, watery goo!
Crispy Bacon Rice
Equally popular with kids as well as adults this tasty and quick dish is bound to become a staple weekday supper like it has for my family.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 125g dry cured streaky bacon (smoked or unsmoked), chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 250g easy cook white rice (cooked according to the packet and drained)
- 100g frozen peas
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1tbsp sesame oil
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- drizzle of hoisin sauce (optional)
- Step 1 Start by heating the oil in a heavy based pan or wok over a low heat and scrambling the eggs gently using a fork, about two minutes. Remove the scrambled egg and keep warm.
- Step 2 Add the bacon to the same pan and dry fry over a medium heat for 5 mins, until crispy. Remove the crispy pieces and keep warm.
- Step 3 Again, using the same pan turn the heat down to low and add the onion and cook for 5 minutes in the bacon fat. Add the peas and garlic for a further 2 minutes.
- Step 4 Add the cooked and drained fluffy rice, soy and oyster sauces and stir fry for two minutes until the rice is heated through.
- Step 5 Remove from the heat and stir through the egg, bacon, black pepper and spring onion.
- Step 6 Finally drizzle over the sesame oil and serve with some hoisin sauce on the table to drizzle over if so desired.