The kale gives this salad lots of texture and the combination of the pancetta, greens and Stilton with the plump sultanas in their dressing makes for a really tasty, satisfying salad. Equally good replacing the pancetta with bacon.
Pancetta, Kale & Stilton Salad
A lovely way to use up leftover sprouts, kale, pancetta (or bacon) and Stilton in a tasty winter salad. The sultana and Balsamic dressing perfectly coplements the ingredients.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200g pancetta, diced 1 cm cubes
- 300g Brussel sprouts
- 200g kale, chopped
- 2 sticks celery, sliced
- 150g Stilton, crumbled
- 2 tbsp pine nuts, toasted
- 1 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 6 tbsp sultanas
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Step 1 Start by making the dressing. Mix the two vinegars and sultanas together. Leave in a bowl at room temperature for 6 hours minimum, preferably overnight to allow the sultanas to plump up.
- Step 2 Add the oil and seasoning to the sultanas and whisk thoroughly.
- Step 3 Par cook the sprouts by boiling them in salted water for 10 mins. Drain.
- Step 4 Meanwhile heat the oil in a heavy based pan over a medium heat and cook the pancetta until golden, approximately 5 minutes.
- Step 5 Remove the pancetta and using the same pan cook the celery and blanched sprouts for 5 mins. Finally return the pancetta to the pan with the kale for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir through half the Stilton and the dressing.
- Step 6 Serve immediately on a platter with the rest of the Stilton scattered over and the toasted pine nuts sprinkled on top.