This savoury version of a bread and butter pudding is hard to beat. My Ham & Cheese Pudding is sheer decadence and joyful comfort on a plate and makes a lovely family supper. Simply serve with a baby leaf and tomato salad.
Ham & Cheese Pudding
I make no apologies for the richness of this dish. My Ham & Cheese Pudding is a massive hit of carbo loveliness- food for the soul!
- 400g bread, crusty white or sourdough
- 150g butter, softened
- 150g Comté
- 150g Jarlsberg cheese
- 300g ham
- thyme 12 small sprigs
- 100g Parmesan, grated
- 5 egg yolks
- 500ml double cream
- 600ml milk
- ¼ tsp grated nutmeg
- salt to taste
- Step 1 You will also need a baking dish measuring approximately 20x24cm, lightly buttered.
- Step 2 Pre-heat the oven to 200C/180’C fan/gas mark 6. Cut the bread into 1cm thick slices, leaving the crusts on. Toast on a low setting, until lightly crisp.
- Step 3 Spread the toast generously with the butter. Cut the Comté into 1cm thick slices. Tear the ham into large bite-sized pieces. Pull the thyme leaves from their stems.
- Step 4 Place a single layer of the buttered bread on the bottom of the dish, tucking the slices together snugly. Place some of the cheese slices and ham on top, add a little black pepper, some thyme leaves then another layer of buttered bread and more of the cheese slices and ham. Continue until the ingredients are used up finishing with a bread layer.
- Step 5 In a mixing bowl, add 50g grated Parmesan, egg yolks, nutmeg then mix in the double cream and milk with a fork or small whisk. Season with a little salt then pour over the bread letting it trickle down through the layers. Grate the remaining 50g Parmesan over the surface.
- Step 6 Cover the top of the dish with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking for a further 10 minutes until the top is golden. Remove from the oven and leave to settle for 10 minutes before serving.