Herby Ham & Cheese Scones
These Ham & Cheese Scones flavoured with rosemary are so moreish and make a great picnic or teatime treat.
- 227g self-raising flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp English mustard powder
- 50g butter, cut into small pieces
- 150g cheddar cheese, grated
- 150g ham, diced or torn
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 60ml milk
- 60 ml water
- 1 egg, beaten
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 220’C/200C’C fan/gas mark 7.
- Step 2 Mix the flour, baking powder, salt and mustard powder in a bowl.
- Step 3 Rub in the butter with your fingers.
- Step 4 Finely grate in 125g cheese, the ham and rosemary, and stir to combine. Mix in the milk and water until the dough just comes away from the edge of the bowl. Tip on to a very lightly floured surface and using a rolling pin flatten to about 1” high. Using a fluted cutter cut out approximately 12 scones.
- Step 5 Put on a baking tray and brush with the egg. Grate the remaining cheese over the top and bake for about 12 minutes until golden. Allow to cool slightly before splitting open.