A great way of using up leftover Stilton, this soup is a lovely mix of sweet and savoury ingredients. Topped with crunchy walnuts and crumbled Stilton it’s a delicious combination of textures too.
Stilton, Cauliflower & Pear Soup
A deliciously velvety, satisfying cheese soup using a winning pairing of Stilton, cauliflower and pears.
- 25g English butter
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 2 celery sticks, roughly chopped
- 1 cauliflower, stalk roughly chopped & break remainder into florets
- 2 ripe pears, peeled, de-cored and chopped into chunks
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 200g Stilton, crumbled
- seasoning to taste
- 20g chopped walnuts, toasted
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- chopped flat leaf parsley
- Step 1 Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the onion and celery and gently soften for 5 minutes.
- Step 2 Add the cauliflower and pears. Gently toss and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes.
- Step 3 Add the vegetable stock and simmer partially covered for 20 minutes.
- Step 4 Remove from heat and add 150g of the stilton. Using a hand blender/food processor whizz the soup until smooth adding seasoning to taste.
- Step 5 Next grind the sea salt and sugar together in a pestle and mortar and use to coat the walnuts. Toss the coated walnuts in a hot frying pan for a minute until the coating has disappeared and the walnuts appear toasted. This happens very quickly so keep watching!
- Step 6 To serve ladle the soup into bowls, top with the rest of the crumbled Stilton, parsley and a sprinkling of the toasted walnuts.