Chicken & Ham Pie
A classic Chicken & Ham Pie with a rich creamy sauce, packed full of leeks, turnips and carrots and topped with a melting buttery, flaky pastry.
- Pie filling
- 50g butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 leeks sliced
- 3 small turnips, peeled and diced finely
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 200ml dry white wine
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 2tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 200ml crème fraiche
- 1tsp dried tarragon
- seasoning to taste (go easy with the salt if using York or Shropshire Black ham)
- 200g Dukeshill ham (or ham hock) chopped
- 150g cooked chicken (or turkey) chopped
- Flaky pastry
- 350g plain flour
- 125g butter
- 6-8tbsp water
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tbsp milk
- Step 1 Pre-heat oven to 180’C/160’C fan/gas mark 4.
- Step 2 Melt the butter in a heavy based saucepan over a low heat then sweat the vegetables for 10-15 minutes. Add the flour to the pan to soak up all the butter and coat the vegetables. Cook for a further minute.
- Step 3 Pour in the wine and allow to bubble for a minute then gently add the stock little by little. Allow to come to a gentle simmer and for the sauce to thicken. Take off the heat and stir in the ham, chicken, mustard, crème fraîche, tarragon and seasoning to taste. Transfer the pie filling to a buttered pie dish. Position your pie funnel in the centre.
- Step 4 To make the pastry break up the butter into the flour and gently rub between your fingers until well dispersed. Add the water a little at a time until the dough comes together. Roll out to cover the pie dish and place carefully over the funnel allowing the funnel to break through. Pinch the edge to seal the pastry round the edge of the dish. Brush with beaten egg and milk. Bake for 35 minutes.