This tasty dish of Spiced Chicken & Plum with Chickpea Rice is perfect for entertaining as it’s so easy to prepare. The chicken thighs are cooked slowly with lots of lovely warming spices and plums served with a fragrant chickpea rice. You can use 2 chicken legs in place of the thighs.
Spiced Chicken & Plum with Chickpea Rice
A fabulously tasty dish of spicy chicken with fragrant chickpea rice. Perfect for entertaining as it's so easy to prepare and cooks away nicely until you're ready to serve.
- 4 chicken thighs
- ½ lemon, zest and juice
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 plums, stones removed and cut into halves
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallot, sliced finely
- 600ml veg stock
- 150g wild rice
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- fresh thyme, coriander and parsley chopped
- Step 1 Marinate the chicken in the lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and spices in an ovenproof dish covered with clingfilm overnight, or for a minimum 4 hours.
- Step 2 Arrange the plums around the chicken, sprinkle the sugar over, then drizzle over the 3tbsp olive oil. Cover with foil and cook for 1 ½ hrs at 180’C/160’C fan/ gas mark 4. Remove the foil and pop back in the oven for another 30 minutes.
- Step 3 Meanwhile cook the shallot in a saucepan in 1 tbsp olive oil over a medium heat for 3 mins until softened. Add the rice and cinnamon and stir through shallots for 1 min. Increase the temperature and pour in the stock and cook for approx. 10 mins until all the liquid is absorbed. Stir the chickpeas, seasoning and herbs through the rice.
- Step 4 Serve the rice with the chicken and plums, and spoonful’s of the cooking juices from the oven dish.