Sometimes the old favourites are unbeatable such as gammon, egg and chips! However with the addition of this caper gravy our gammon steaks are transformed into an impressive supper dish. The caper gravy can be made ahead.
Gammon Steaks with Caper Gravy and Eggs
This piquant caper gravy perfectly compliments the gammon steaks.
- 4 Dukeshill gammon steaks
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes
- Caper Gravy
- 30g butter
- 2 small onions, finely sliced
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 50ml medium dry white wine
- 250ml vegetable stock
- 2 tsp capers, rinsed and drained and halved if big
- freshly ground black pepper
- Step 1 Start by making the gravy. Melt the butter in a pan and sauté the onions over a low heat for 10 mins until softened and slightly browned.
- Step 2 Add the spices and stir through for 1 min.
- Step 3 Add the flour and again stir through for 1 min.
- Step 4 Increase the heat and add the wine, stock, black pepper and capers, bring to a simmer.
- Step 5 Simmer for 5 mins until the gravy has reduced by half.
- Step 6 Meanwhile fry the gammon steaks on both sides over a medium heat in the vegetable oil. Remove to warm plates and add more oil if necessary to fry the eggs.
- Step 7 Plate up by spooning the gravy over the gammon steaks, topping with the egg and a sprinkle of the chilli flakes.
- Step 8 Season to taste, although I only sprinkle salt over the egg.
- Step 9 Delicious served alongside some greens.