This is a fabulous way to enjoy our thinly sliced gammon steaks, cooked until crispy on the edges and served with this delicious shakshuka, a mildly spiced summer vegetable side dish. No other accompaniments are needed.
Gammon Steaks with Asparagus, Pea & Bean Shakshuka
Shakshuka is a Midlle Eastern dish of simmering tomatoes, onions, garlic, spices and gently poached eggs. My version uses summer vegetables such as peas, beans & asparagus in place of the tomatoes. It goes wonderfully well with our gammon steaks.
- 2 gammon steaks
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- knob of butter
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- pinch of chilli flakes
- 12 asparagus tips (or 6 asparagus spears chopped in half)
- 90g peas
- 90g broad beans
- 200g spinach
- seasoning to taste
- 4 eggs
- Step 1 Bring a pan of salted water to the boil then add the asparagus and cook for 30 seconds. Add the peas and beans and cook for another minute, then add the spinach and cook for 10 seconds, pushing the spinach into the boiling water to submerge, before tipping everything out into a colander to drain.
- Step 2 Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a heavy based pan over a medium to high heat and cook the gammon steaks for 5 mins on each side. Press down on the steaks whilst cooking to ensure even cooking. Remove the steaks and keep warm.
- Step 3 In the same pan heat 2 tbsp olive oil and a knob of butter over a low to medium heat. Cook the garlic for 2 minutes, then add the cumin seeds and chilli flakes. Stir in the blanched veg and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Step 4 Season the veg, then make holes for the eggs and crack an egg into each space. Keep cooking gently until the eggs are done how you like them (cover with a lid if you want to speed things up).
- Step 5 Serve alongside the gammon steaks.