Sometimes it’s the simple things in life that can give so much pleasure and this Ham and Cauliflower Gratin in a cheese sauce is a perfect example. It also happens to be incredibly easy to put together providing a nutritious meal in moments. Comfort food at its best.
Ham and Cauliflower Gratin
I remember eating this simple ham and cauliflower gratin in France many years ago. As ever the French know how good quality ingredients need no embellishment so make sure to only use the best ham, Dukeshill's of course!
- 100 - 150g cooked ham or ham hock, torn or diced
- 1 head of cauliflower, chopped into small florets
- 3 eggs
- 200ml milk
- 200g Cheddar cheese, grated
- generous grating of nutmeg
- ¼ tsp salt
- freshly ground pepper
- Step 1 Pre heat oven to 200’C/180’C fan.
- Step 2 Cook the cauliflower florets in boiling water for 3 minutes, drain and tip into a buttered baking dish.
- Step 3 Top with the shredded/torn ham.
- Step 4 Whisk the eggs with the milk then stir in the grated cheese, nutmeg and seasoning. Pour over the cauliflower and ham.
- Step 5 Pop into the oven for 25 minutes until golden and bubbling.
- Step 6 Serve straight from the dish. This is so simple and needs no accompaniment although a hunk of fresh bread and a glass of red wine always goes well!