This Ham & Chestnut Pie is such an easy cheat using a ready made mushroom sauce. The nutty chestnuts dissipate during cooking and add a richness to the filling.
Ham & Chestnut Pie
Try this flavoursome ham & chestnut pie filling topped with a crisp puff pastry. Perfect for using up leftover ham, feeding the family and for entertaining.
- 800g ham or ham hock, diced
- 400g cooked chestnuts, roughly chopped
- 50g butter
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 500g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 700g mushroom sauce (use a good quality fresh sauce)
- 30g fresh parsley, chopped
- 20g fresh thyme, leaves only
- 20g fresh sage, finely chopped
- seasoning to taste
- 375g puff pastry (preferably all-butter puff)
- 1 egg, beaten
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 200’C/ 180’C fan/gas mark 6.
- Step 2 Heat the butter in a pan and sauté the onion over a gentle heat for 5 minutes to soften.
- Step 3 Turn up the heat and add the sliced mushrooms. Continue to cook until the moisture from the mushrooms has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Step 4 Stir in the ham, mushroom sauce, chestnuts, herbs and seasoning to taste. Tip into a deep buttered, ovenproof pie dish (10” diameter) and top with puff pastry, brushed with egg. Make a few cuts in the top to allow the steam to escape during cooking.
- Step 5 Bake in the oven for 45 minutes until the pastry is crisp and golden. Simply serve with some wedges of buttered cabbage.