I love gratins and this one is no exception. So easy to make and perfect for using up any leftover ham, chicken or turkey. Another family friendly dish and perfect for entertaining too. Just serve with a green salad or steamed seasonal vegetables.
Ham & Chicken Gratin
This Ham & Chicken Gratin is a really tasty way for using up leftover ham, chicken or turkey and makes a lovely supper or lunch dish.
- 400g ham, thick-cut from a hock or sliced ham, roughly chopped
- 450g cooked chicken (or turkey) cut in large chunks
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 250g Portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 50g butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 150ml white wine, dry
- 250ml chicken stock
- 120ml double cream
- 20g tarragon leaves, chopped
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp salt & freshly ground pepper
- 170g white breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp parsley, finely
- 60ml olive oil
- Step 1 Heat oven to 190’C/170’C fan/gas mark 5.
- Step 2 Grease an ovenproof dish and place the chunks of chicken and ham evenly over the base.
- Step 3 Heat the butter in a pan over a low to medium heat and sauté the leeks and mushroom for 5 minutes until softened.
- Step 4 Stir through the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Step 5 Pour in the wine and stock, stirring until smooth. Cook for 1 min then stir in cream, tarragon and mustard.
- Step 6 Season to taste, then pour over the ham and turkey.
- Step 7 Whizz the bread in a processor with the parsley and oil to create the oily breadcrumbs and scatter over the dish.
- Step 8 Bake for 25 to 30 mins until bubbling and golden and serve with salads or green vegetables.