We first tried this in a fantastic restaurant called Jo Jo’s in Whitstable. This is my attempt to re-create it and I’m hoping you find it as delicious as I did. Always make sure you use a top quality dry cured pancetta such as ours.
Pancetta, Cabbage & Walnuts
Who'd have thought something so simple could taste so good! This Pancetta, Cabbage & Walnuts makes an economical and yet so tasty dish.
- 200g pancetta, diced into 1 cm cubes
- 1 Chou or Savoy Cabbage, shredded very finely
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 25g butter
- ¼ tsp salt
- 250ml white wine
- 5g knob of butter
- 250ml double cream
- freshly ground black pepper
- 50g walnuts, toasted
- 30g Parmesan, finely grated
- Step 1 Begin by heating a heavy based pan over a high heat and cooking the diced pancetta for 3-5 mins. Remove the pancetta from the pan.
- Step 2 Add the oil and 25g butter to the pan and allow to heat over the high heat. Once the butter starts to foam add the cabbage and ¼ tsp salt, tossing the cabbage as it wilts down. Keeping the heat high add the wine and reduce by half.
- Step 3 Add the knob of butter, then add the cream and seasoning. Bring to the boil to thicken.
- Step 4 Remove from the heat and stir through the pancetta. Plate up sprinkling each dish with the walnuts and grated Parmesan.
- Step 5 TIP This is also delicious served alongside a grilled piece of chicken.