A cheese scone takes some beating, but these beauties were inspired by our Porchetta where the combination of fennel and rosemary add a whole extra dimension to pancetta. Why not add those ingredients to a basic cheese scone? The result is heaven.
Pancetta, Cheese & Herb Scones
When I first made these pancetta, cheese & herb scones they flew out of my kitchen. Probably best to make double!
- 300g self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp rosemary leaves, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp salt
- 100g butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp milk
- 150g cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp chives, chopped
- 125g pancetta (or bacon), chopped
- 1 egg, beaten for brushing
- Step 1 Pre heat oven to 220’c/200’C fan/gas mark 7.
- Step 2 Dry fry the pancetta (or bacon) in a pan over a medium heat until crispy, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Step 3 In a bowl mix the flour, salt, fennel seeds and mustard powder together.
- Step 4 Rub the butter into the flour mixture with your fingertips until like fine breadcrumbs.
- Step 5 Add 130g grated cheese, chives and pancetta and stir through evenly.
- Step 6 Pour in the milk and egg and mix until the dough comes away from the sides of the bowl. Try not to overwork the dough.
- Step 7 Tip onto a floured surface and form the dough mixture into a 7” circle. Using a knife cut the cake into eight wedges about 2 cm thick. Transfer carefully to a greased baking tray.
- Step 8 Brush the tops with beaten egg and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Step 9 Bake for 15 minutes until golden.