I used to make this Pancetta, Cheese & Potato Tart a lot when my children were little, and I remember it being really popular with all my lunchtime pals as well. Simply serve with a watercress salad.
Pancetta, Cheese & Potato Tart
A homely, satisfying pancetta, cheese & potato tart perfect served with a watercress salad or alongside my fennel slaw with apple & celery salad.
- 200g pancetta, diced 1cm cubes
- 300g shortcrust pastry
- 350g potatoes, peeled and diced (1” chunks)
- 2 onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 25g butter
- 20g parsley, chopped
- 150g cheese, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 150ml double cream
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- pinch grated nutmeg
- Step 1 Pre heat the oven to 220°C / 200’C fan/gas mark 7.
- Step 2 Roll out the pastry and use to line a 24cm flan or cake tin.
- Step 3 Boil the potatoes until tender, approximately 10 mins. Drain and transfer to a bowl.
- Step 4 Heat a heavy based pan over a high heat and cook the diced pancetta in 1 tbsp olive oil until crispy. Remove from the pan and add to the potatoes.
- Step 5 Using the same pan turn the heat down to a low heat, add another 1 tbsp olive oil to the pan and sauté the onions in the pancetta fat & oil until really soft, then add to the potatoes.
- Step 6 Finally stir through the butter, half the cheese, parsley, garlic, cream, and seasoning.
- Step 7 Fill the pastry case. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and bake for 20 minutes, until golden.