My Pancetta & Chestnut Pasta dish is so easy to throw together for a quick supper. The sweetness of the chestnuts marries so well with the saltiness of our dry cured pancetta in this delicate and creamy sauce. Equally good using any of our bacon in place of the pancetta.
Pancetta & Chestnut Penne
My creamy pancetta & chestnut sauce with pasta makes for a delicious lunch or supper dish, and it's so easy to make to boot!
- 200g pancetta, diced 1cm cubes
- 2 echallion shallots (or I onion), peeled and finely chopped
- 3 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 180g chestnuts, finely chopped
- 4 thyme sprigs, leaves only
- 360g penne pasta
- 200ml reserved pasta cooking water
- 200ml crème fraîche
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 30g Parmesan, finely grated
- Step 1 Start by heating a heavy based pan over a high heat and dry frying the pancetta until golden brown for approximately 5 minutes, stirring during cooking to ensure all sides cook evenly.
- Step 2 Reduce the heat to medium and add the shallot and celery. Cook for a further 5 minutes before adding the crushed garlic, thyme and chestnuts. Cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Step 3 Meanwhile cook the pasta according to the instructions on the pack. Drain reserving 200ml of the cooking water.
- Step 4 Stir the crème fraîche into the cooking water and add to the pancetta and chestnut mixture. Add seasoning to taste.
- Step 5 Stir through and serve with some grated Parmesan.