Gnudi are ricotta cheese dumplings and here I’ve added spinach and our dry cured pancetta to make a delicious starter or light lunch.
Spinach Gnudi with Pancetta
These delicate ricotta cheese and spinach gnudi make a sublime light lunch or starter served with pancetta.
- 400g spinach
- 200g ricotta, drained
- 30g 00 flour or plain flour
- 70g Parmesan, finely grated
- 1 egg
- ¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- ¼ tsp salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 200g pancetta, diced
- 3 sage leaves, finely chopped
- 15g butter
- Step 1 Cook the spinach in a lidded pan with a splash of water, allowing it to steam for 5 mins. Drain and press in a sieve to remove as much liquid as possible. Allow to cool then chop finely.
- Step 2 Add the drained ricotta to the spinach along with the flour, 50g Parmesan, egg, nutmeg and seasoning. Form the mixture into 12 quenelle shaped gnudi.
- Step 3 Bring a pan of water to a rolling boil and gently drop the gnudi in 2 batches. Cook each batch for 3-4 mins until they float to the surface. Lift out and keep warm.
- Step 4 Heat a heavy based frying pan over a high heat and dry fry pancetta for 3 mins. Add the sage for a further 2 mins until both are crispy. Turn down the heat to medium, add the butter and add the gnudi for 2-3 minutes, tossing everything around in the pan.
- Step 5 Serve immediately with the remaining 20g Parmesan sprinkled over.