My daughter Lucy made this Lemon & Herb Pork Chops with Butterbeans on Toast dish for me, and I have to say it is absolutely delicious. The combination of the herbs and garlicky beans with the pork chops and the sublime juice soaked toasted sourdough is sheer heaven on a plate for me.
Lemon & Herb Pork Chops with Butterbeans on Toast
Free range pork chops cooked in lemon and herbs and served on a bed of butterbeans and juice soaked toasted sourbread - heaven on a plate!
- 2 pork chops
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 unwaxed lemon, zest and juice
- 10g fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- 10g fresh thyme leaves
- 50g pancetta, diced
- 400g tin butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 400ml chicken or veg stock
- 200g young leaf spinach
- 4 slices toasted sourdough (or ciabatta)
- Step 1 Heat oven to 200’C/180’C fan/gas mark 5.
- Step 2 Mix the lemon zest and lemon juice with the chopped sage, one crushed garlic clove, seasoning and 1tbsp olive oil and rub all over the chops. Preferably leave to marinate for one hour.
- Step 3 Heat the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil in a heavy based pan over a high heat and brown the chops for 3 mins on each side. Remove the chops and add the onions and pancetta for 3 minutes, stirring often.
- Step 4 Reduce the heat to low and add the thyme and two thinly sliced cloves of garlic and continue to cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Step 5 Return the chops to the pan and cover with the onion and pancetta mixture. Pour over the stock and beans, bring to the boil then remove to the oven for 50 minutes and cover with baking parchment or a lid. Add the spinach for the last ten minutes.
- Step 6 Rub the toasted sourdough with the remaining clove of garlic and cover with the beans and juice mixture allowing the toast to soak up the juices. Place a chop on top and serve.