Neale is the undisputed master of the BBQ, or rather the Egg now! It’s a deeply bonding experience for men it seems. Thankfully I have now trained him to do all the clearing up too! This is one of his BBQ favourites, the classic American style Hot Dog. Perfect for entertaining and popular with all ages.
Hot Dogs with Sweetened Balsamic Onions & Cheese
Hot Dogs made using our big bangers; succulent extra large pork sausages served with sweetened balsamic onions and cheese makes for the perfect BBQ food.
- 4 Big Bangers (or any sausages from our range)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- ½ red pepper, sliced
- ½ green pepper, sliced
- seasoning to taste
- 4 hot dog rolls
- 2 tsp American style mustard
- 100g Comté cheese, grated
- Step 1 BBQ the sausages until golden brown, turning once. Remove from BBQ and set aside. Or if not using the BBQ fry the sausages in a little oil in a heavy based pan for 20 mins, then set aside.
- Step 2 Heat a pan over a low heat and cook the onions in the olive oil until lightly browned and soft for 3-5 mins. Add the balsamic vinegar and sugar and cook for 1 minute. Add the garlic and sliced peppers and cook for another 5-7 minutes, or until softened. Season to taste.
- Step 3 Slice each roll down the centre and spread one half with ½ tsp mustard. Sprinkle the grated cheese on both the cut sides of each roll. Place under a preheated grill (or on a lidded BBQ) for a few minutes just to slightly toast roll and melt the cheese.
- Step 4 Fill each roll with a sausage and a dollop of the onion mixture.