If you’ve come back from your French holiday yearning for the simplicity of a rustic Cassoulet look no further than our easy to make version using our sausages and streaky bacon. If you want to make it more authentic you could always add our Confit Duck Legs just before topping with the crumb.
An equally delicious and wholesome version of the classic French dish of Cassoulet using our Traditional Pork Sausages.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 400g sausages (use our Traditional Pork Sausages or Toulouse)
- 200g dry cured smoked streaky bacon, chopped
- 2 x 400g tin haricot beans, rinsed
- 2 sticks celery, sliced
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 tsp tomato puree
- 1 bouquet garni (bundle of thyme, parsley and bay leaves)
- 750ml water
- ¼ tsp salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Juice ½ lemon
- Breadcrumb topping
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 150C/fan 130C/gas mark 2.
- Step 2 Heat the olive oil in a casserole or deep heavy based, oven proof pan over a low heat and sweat the celery, onion, carrot and garlic for 5 minutes. Add the tomato puree and cook slowly for approximately 5 minutes.
- Step 3 Add the sausage, beans and pancetta, then pour in 1 litre water. Bring to the boil, then add the salt, pepper, bouquet garni and lemon juice.
- Step 4 Transfer the casserole to the oven and cook, uncovered, for 2 hours, stirring every hour. At the end of this time the juices should have thickened.
- Step 5 Turn the oven up to 200’C/180’C fan/ gas mark 6. Mix the breadcrumbs with the olive oil and garlic and sprinkle over the cassoulet. Return to the oven for 20 mins.