This sausage & leek gratin turns a pack of our delicious sausages into a satisfying and tasty family meal for four.
Sausage & Leek Gratin
This Sausage & Leek Gratin is the perfect comfort food as well as being a great way to stretch a pack of sausages to create a meal for four.
- 400g pork sausages
- 600g potatoes, peeled and sliced thickly 3-4mm
- 25g butter
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 leeks, sliced
- 40g plain flour
- 450ml milk
- 3 sage leaves, chopped
- 2 sprigs thyme, leaves removed and stalks discarded
- 120g Cheddar, grated
- Step 1 Pre-heat oven to 200’C/180’C fan/gas mark 6.
- Step 2 Bake sausages on a baking tray for 20 minutes turning halfway through cooking. Remove and when cool enough slice into 1’ thick slices.
- Step 3 Cook potatoes in boiling water for 7 minutes. Drain.
- Step 4 Melt butter in a large frying pan, add onion and leeks, sage and thyme. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Step 5 Add flour, cook for 1 minute, then add milk, whisking continuously, until sauce thickens, boils and is smooth.
- Step 6 Remove from heat, add 75g (3oz) cheese and stir until melted.
- Step 7 Transfer the sliced sausage to an ovenproof dish, top with the cheese, onion and leek sauce.
- Step 8 Scatter the potato slices on top, sprinkle over remaining cheese. Bake for 30 minutes until browned.