The sausage sauce is equally good with linguine or pappardelle. Just stir in the ricotta and Parmesan through the sauce before serving.
Sausage & Lentil Pasta Bake
This sausage & lentil pasta bake is a version of meatballs with pasta. The lentils add bulk and richness to the sausage sauce to create a satisfying and very tasty meal.
- 300g Spirali or Fusilli pasta
- 150g ricotta
- 50g Parmesan, finely grated
- Sausage sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 400g pork sausages, skinned or sausage meat
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
- 60g Puy lentils
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 300ml chicken stock
- Step 1 Pre heat oven to 180’C/ 160’C fan/gas mark 4.
- Step 2 Cook the pasta until al dente then drain and refresh with cold water.
- Step 3 Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat and crumble in the sausage meat. Break up with a fork to avoid big clumps forming. Add the garlic and fennel and cook for two minutes.
- Step 4 Add the lentils and tomato puree and then pour in the tomatoes and stock. Give everything a stir and simmer gently for 25 minutes until the sauce has thickened slightly. Remove from the heat.
- Step 5 Place the cooked pasta in a buttered baking dish. Top with the sausage sauce.
- Step 6 Dollop blobs of the ricotta and the Parmesan over the top.
- Step 7 Bake in the oven for 25 minutes until bubbling and golden.
- Step 8 Serve with a green salad.