This tasty sausage plait with fennel & a hint of chilli makes a really lovely family meal just served in slices with salad.
Sausage Plait with Fennel & Chilli
A mildly spiced sausage plait with fennel and chilli, perfect for friends or family. Equally good as part of a buffet.
- 375g all butter puff pastry
- plain flour, for dusting
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 800g pork sausage meat
- 150g smoked streaky bacon, chopped (or pancetta diced)
- 2 onions peeled and diced
- 6 cloves garlic peeled and finely chopped
- 3 celery stalks, finely sliced
- 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 sprigs rosemary, leaves removed
- salt and pepper
- 1tbsp olive oil
- Step 1 Pre heat oven to 200’C/180’fan/gas mark 6.
- Step 2 Fry the bacon until golden brown, with sticky, crunchy bits. Add onion, garlic, celery and sauté for 5 mins. Remove to bowl.
- Step 3 Add sausage meat, tomato paste, dried chilli, rosemary, seasoning, oil and fennel seeds to bowl. Stir well. Mix thoroughly and shape into a large roll shape, wrap tightly in clingfilm and refrigerate for a min 4 hours.
- Step 4 Roll the pastry out on a lightly floured surface so it is a quarter bigger than the roll of filling. Take the filling out of the clingfilm and place in the centre. Brush some beaten egg all around the edge of the pastry before rolling up and sealing the edges. Crimp the edges to seal and transfer to a lined baking sheet positioning the roll so it is resting on the long sealed edge. Brush with the rest of the beaten egg, decorate with any pastry offcuts and score the surface with little cuts.
- Step 5 Bake in the pre-heated oven for 40-45 mins until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack for 15 mins before serving with vegetables. Also delicious served with salads.