This Sausage & Squash recipe was in part inspired by my Mother who loves eating way more than “five a day” when it comes to vegetables. Perhaps that’s why she’s still playing golf in her nineties! A filling, nutritious and tasty one pot supper dish, perfect for family and friends.
Sausage & Squash with Ginger & Lentils
A little goes a long way with this filling and nutritious one pot sausage & squash stew with ginger & lentils.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 x 400g pack sausages
- 1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 sticks celery, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced into 1cm cubes
- ½ butternut squash, peeled and diced into 1cm cubes
- 2 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp turmeric
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tsp ginger puree/paste
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 150ml water
- 1 x 400g tin coconut milk
- 100g green lentils or puy lentils
- 200g spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 x 400g tin butterbeans, drained and rinsed
- Step 1 Pre heat oven to 180’C/160’C fan/gas mark 4.
- Step 2 Heat the oil in a large casserole pot over a medium heat and brown the sausages for 10 minutes, turning throughout to brown evenly. Remove the sausages to a plate.
- Step 3 Turn the heat down and add the onion, celery, garlic, carrot and squash. Gently sauté for 10 minutes. Sprinkle over the spices, sugar and ginger paste and cook for a further minute.
- Step 4 Turn up the heat and tip in the tomatoes, water, coconut milk and lentils and stir thoroughly. Allow to come to a gentle simmer (about 5 minutes) then stir in the sausages, spinach and butterbeans. Place the lid on the casserole and pop in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Step 5 Serve in bowls. No accompaniment is needed.