Loosely based on Boston Baked Beans these mildly spicy beans make a wonderfully healthy and nutritious accompaniment to both our sausages, chorizo and our Pork Confit. Topped with an egg they are comfort food at its best.
Sausages, Spicy Beans & Eggs
- 400g Dukeshill pork chipolatas
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp double concentrate tomato puree
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 100ml water
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 x 400g tins haricot beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- ¼ tsp English mustard powder
- ½ -1 tsp salt, according to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 free range eggs
- Step 1 Fry the sausages in the oil over a medium heat for 15 minutes until browned all over.
- Step 2 Add the onion to the sausages and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Step 3 Then add the garlic and spices and cook for another minute before adding the tomato puree.
- Step 4 Stir the puree in the pan for 30 seconds then add the tinned tomatoes, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, water and salt and pepper. Bring to the boil then simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Step 5 Add the beans and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Step 6 Meanwhile fry the eggs in a little vegetable oil.
- Step 7 Serve the sausages and beans mixture with an egg sitting on top and tuck in.