This is an absolutely divine and sophisticated way to elevate the humble sausage to a fine dining dish!
Sausages with Cauliflower Purée & Walnut & Herb Dressing
These Sausages with Cauliflower Purée & Herb Dressing are fabulous. Probably a bit too sophisticated for the kids, or perhaps a great way of getting them to eat cauliflower! Either way a win, win dish.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 400g pork sausages
- Cauliflower Purée
- 60g unsalted butter
- 1 large cauliflower, cut into small florets
- ½ tsp salt
- 500ml whole milk
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp grated nutmeg
- Walnut & Herb Dressing
- 1 shallot, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 tsp Balsamic vinegar
- 10g fresh parsley, chopped
- 10g mint, freshly chopped
- 3 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 20g walnuts, broken or chopped
- zest ½ lemon
- Step 1 Cook the sausages in the oil in a heavy based pan over a medium heat for 20 mins, turning whilst cooking until evenly cooked. Remove and keep warm.
- Step 2 Melt 25g of the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat and cook until the butter turns brown, then add the cauliflower with the ½ tsp salt for 3 mins to maximise the flavour. Add the milk and bring to the boil, then turn the heat down and simmer for 10 mins. Add the lemon juice, pepper, nutmeg and remaining butter. Using a blender purée until really smooth. Keep warm.
- Step 3 Toast the walnuts in a dry pan over a high heat for approx. 2-3 mins until lightly toasted.
- Step 4 Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a pan over a low heat and add the shallot for 3-4 minutes until starting to caramelise, adding the Balsamic vinegar for a further 1 min at the end to reduce.
- Step 5 Whizz the herbs and anchovies in a processor (or pestle and mortar) until coarsely chopped. Add the remaining 5 tbsp olive oil and whizz again. Stir through the walnuts, lemon zest and shallot mixture.
- Step 6 Serve the sausages on a bed of the cauliflower purée and drizzle over the sauce.