These make the most delicious canapés for all your entertaining. I quite often find smoked salmon canapés are made using cream cheese which I find too rich. These delicate flakes of moist hot smoked salmon on fluffy potato cakes with a little crème fraîche make a lovely change.
Mini Potato Cakes with Flaked Salmon
Bite-sized potato cakes with hot smoked salmon flakes make the most delicious salmon canapés for all your entertaining.
- 200g hot smoked salmon
- 200g crème fraiche
- freshly ground black pepper
- Potato Cakes
- 250g cooked mashed potato
- 75g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 125ml milk
- 1 tbsp chives, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 20g butter
- Step 1 Mix the mash with the flour, eggs, salt, baking powder and milk and stir until smooth. Stir through the chives.
- Step 2 Heat the oil and butter in a large heavy based pan over a medium heat. Using a teaspoon drop a spoonful of batter into the pan, cooking approx. 8 individual cakes at a time. Cook for one minute until the surface starts to form bubbles then flip and cook for one minute more before removing.
- Step 3 Repeat until you have 48 cakes.
- Step 4 Top each cake with a dollop of crème fraiche and some flaked hot smoked salmon and top with freshly ground black pepper.